Sport and Physical Education Premium Funding
The government is currently providing additional funding to further develop Physical Education (PE) provision in all schools. Each school will receive £8000 plus an extra £5 per pupil per annum. This money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in school, but schools have the freedom to choose how to spend the funding within this.
Chandag Infant Schoolhas chosen to spend this sport premium funding on the employment of a PE specialist and also on our participation with the Bath and North East Somerset School Sport Partnership (SSPO). Below you will find a synopsis of how our school has benefitted from employing each of these.
- Our PE specialist has delivered high quality PE lessons across the school, enhancing sport provision for all pupils.
- Class teachers have had the opportunity to observe and teach alongside this specialist, enabling them to further develop professionally to ensure a sustained improvement in our delivery of PE.
- The specialist has been able to provide time and support for teachers to carry out pupil assessments.
- Our PE specialist has delivered lunch time sport clubs, promoting the importance of physical activity and also providing pupils (particularly those in vulnerable groups and those considered gifted and talented) an opportunity to further develop their physical skills and enjoyment in practical games.
School Sport Partnership
- Organisation of cluster meetings for Keynsham primary school PE Coordinators: This allows for links to be established between local schools, the discussion of professional dialogue between PE subject leaders whereby ideas and dates can be discussed for PE events.
- Central CPDopportunities: Our PE coordinator has been able to attend a number of PE courses, subsequently allowing new knowledge and good practice to be shared with other staff members.
- Support with extending pupil achievement outside of school, including organising free taster sessions with outside sports clubs and also participation in the hugely successful Dance Umbrella.
- In School Curriculum CPD & Targeted Development.
Each year we are able to choose from a wide selection of support opportunities. This allows us to cater for the best PE provision for our needs as a school. In the academic school year 2014-15 this allowed us to have the following support in school;
- A set of 12 lessons delivered by a Gym specialist with Reception.
- A set of 10 lessons delivered by a Dance specialist with Year 2.
- 3 weeks cricket curriculum coaching and a morning taster session with Year 1.
- SSPO’s‘Daily Physical Activity’ specialist as part of his Daily Activity Roadshow, delivered Play Leader training with pupils and SMSAs. He was also able to lead a multi-skills session with a group of gifted and talented pupils.
- A Dance Specialist delivered an ‘Engaging children with Creative Movement’course. This involved 10 hours targeted intervention support with selected children who teachers felt would positively benefit from this opportunity.
- Inset and Twilight CPD package: ChandagInfant School has been provided with whole staff inset training on ‘a multi-skill approach to delivering PE’.
- Participation in a Year 2 multi-sports festival with other local schools.
- Support on Sports Day from WellswaySchool Sport Ambassadors.